There are a ton of great designs that can be done on the foot. Remember that the placement of a foot is just a general idea but it can be anywhere on the top of the foot spreading all the way up to the ankle and down to the sides of the feet also. You can also consider getting one or both feet tattooed. There are some really great foot tattoos out there that span across the top of both feet.
Typically foot tattoos are gotten by women and therefore the designs are more feminine and tend to fall in the area of tattoo designs for women. Here are some possible considerations
- Flowers - There are a ton of beautiful flowers that work perfectly on the foot. You can just do the blossom or head of the flower or you might want to do the flower and stem. Some women also choose to do a cluster of flowers. Flowers are typically full of meaning and symbolism in the West of course the rose is full of deep meaning and symbolism. For a more mystical and foreign feel you might want to consider cherry blossom or lotus flower designs which are also very symbolic and full of meaning.
- Tribal - It used to be that tribal designs were more the domain of men. However, today more and more women are taking tribal designs and making them cute and feminine. By thinning the line and adding color or changing the hard black and white angular design of male tribal designs and making them swirl and intertwine in a beautiful flowing way can make a great design.
- Fairy - Fairies are always a great tattoo. They do not have a preset meaning or symbolism inherent in them and therefore you can be free to pose the fairy and dress her up in any way you want. The way she poses, her clothes and hair color and wings will communicate a lot of feeling and emotions. For example you can go with a shy fairy or a sexy tough looking fairy. Think of Tinkerbell on steroids! Kind of sexy and scary ain't it?
Dealing With Pain
Getting a foot tattoo is one of the more painful areas to get a design inked on your body so you should be prepared. This does not mean you want to freak out about it and talk yourself out of it. Remember thousands of women have gone before you and braved the process. However, you also want to prepare yourself and here are some tips that help.
- Be Comfortable - The most important thing is you want to make sure you are sitting in a comfortable position. You will have to have your leg elevated for a while and you want it to be comfortable. Don't be afraid to talk with the artist and let them know what you need. If you need extra padding or a different position ask. Once you are positioned you want to stay put and not move or you can mess up the artist and the design.
- Be Distracted - This might sound funny but you want to keep yourself distracted during the time. Keep your breathing slow and at a comfortable pace and distract yourself to keep calm. You might want to bring an iPod, something to read or even just focus on the tattoo designs on the wall at the shop but find somewhere to focus your mind and stay in your happy place.
- Take Breaks Or Do It In Sessions - You can also take breaks or do it in two sessions if needed. If it is really painful and the pain is getting to you don't be afraid to talk with your tattoo artist and let them know that you need a break. Sometimes taking a short break and then coming back to it with a refreshed mind will help the process go much smoother. Just keep in mind your artist has a schedule to keep also so you can take breaks but be considerate also.
A foot tattoo can be at risk for not healing as well as it should. Since feet are usually in movement, covered with socks and stuffed in shoes it can be hard to properly heal a foot tattoo. Something that can help are make sure you don't wear shoes for at least 12 hours after getting the tattoo and longer if possible. You might have to opt for a open sandal but the best method is to stay at home with your shoes and socks off. Try to keep the tattoo as clean as possible and wash it. Also let it breathe and get air as much as possible.